A University of Wisconsin Band event that has remained one of the most popular and colorful attractions held in Camp Randall each year is High School Band Day. The first recorded evidence of Band Day in Madison was in 1935, when 15 Wisconsin high school bands were invited to campus. The day began with a marching competition in the morning and finished with an afternoon football game in Camp Randall Stadium. The winning band of the competition was awarded the privilege of performing at halftime. Each band paraded into the stadium before the game and combined with the Wisconsin Band for the playing of the National Anthem.
In 1937, Band Day was discontinued because the football team was filling the stands with fans and not guest musicians. In 1959, Camp Randall Stadium underwent major reconstruction and in 1960, the Athletic Board reinstated Band Day. Limiting the event to 4,000 high school musicians, the bands were placed in the north end zone throughout the game. From here the bands were united into one massive band and performed several musical selection to the delight of Badge fans. Then, in 1980, the bands were moved to the south end zone, in front of the Field House, where it was felt that both the view and sound would be enhanced for the spectators.
Participation in High School Band Day remains by invitation only. Each May, invitations are sent to the alma mater of the members of the current Wisconsin Band.